Learn more about the openSPOT3
More information about the
The openSPOT3 is now available in our shop.
Compatible digital radio protocols and networks
- DMR (BrandMeister, DMRplus, DMR-MARC, Phoenix, XLX, TGIF and others)
- D-STAR® (DCS, REF/DPlus, XRF/DExtra, XLX)
- System Fusion®/C4FM (FCS, YSFReflector, XLX)
- NXDN® (NXDNReflector)
- P25 (P25Reflector)
- POCSAG (DAPNET)
- APRS® messaging and location data forwarding (APRS-IS)
Supports cross modes with built-in hardware transcoding (example: talk with your D-STAR® radio on DMR, and with your DMR radio on D-STAR® networks).
See the product specifications here.
- Built-in Li-ion battery with up to 10 hours of operation (can be extended with additional power saving)
- Built-in hardware transcoding* for the best voice quality in cross mode operation
- Built-in extended range Wi-Fi and radio antenna
- Built-in beeper with audible status tones
- Web-based easy and fast Quick Setup
- Call audio playback on the web interface
- No additional hardware required, works out of the box without a computer
- All accessories included you need to have the openSPOT3 up and running (USB-C cable and 120V/230V USB power supply for charging)
- Designed for 24/7 continuous use even in your vehicle with extreme fast bootup and USB power supply tolerance
- User manual available online
- 2 year warranty** with official support in email / community forum
- Web interface for configuration and monitoring
- HTTP/WebSocket API with documentation for developers
- Create your own private radio network using our open source server application
* The list of cross modes which are using the hardware transcoder can be found here.
** The battery, charger and cable have only one year long warranty period (70% battery end of warranty capacity).
State of the art hardware and software design
The openSPOT3 is the only complete hotspot on the market which is:
- customly designed as a fully dedicated device for standalone operation (no Raspberry Pi® or anything like that is used or needed)
- has a built-in battery
- has a built-in hardware transcoder, and supports D-STAR® cross mode operation
- using a fully embedded software written in pure C, running on an embedded real time operating system. This means no Linux, no bulky Windows software, no failing SD cards – but extreme durability, reliable operation and fast bootup.
- No desktop PC software or drivers to install
- Supports fast battery charging with USB charger detection
- 20mW UHF RF output, see the specifications
- Extreme fast bootup: under 5 seconds* from powerup to connected to BrandMeister and ready to use
- Supports scheduling an automatic daily wakeup and powerdown
- Built-in Wi-Fi access point mode for quick and easy connecting to Wi-Fi networks
- Multiple Wi-Fi network support with automatic connect and reconnect
- Fully automatic over the air firmware upgrades for new features
- HTTP/WebSocket API with documentation for developers
- Bright multicolor LEDs with brightness control for easy real time state and battery charge status monitoring
* Depends on the speed of the Wi-Fi router, Wi-Fi network and internet connection conditions.
Very easy to use
- Built-in voice announcements
- BrandMeister Manager and Quick Call on the web interface for DMR TG/reflector linking/unlinking
- DMR SMS chat
- DMR ID database lookup
- Controllable with calls from your radio to preconfigured IDs/callsigns
- Built-in echo service for testing
Frequently asked questions
If you travel around the world, where you can’t reach the repeater HG5RUC directly, you can still talk with your friends by using an openSPOT3 and a DMR (or cross mode compatible) radio by connecting it to the same network and talkgroup which HG5RUC uses (TG216, BM). If you speak with your radio on the openSPOT3’s frequency, it will route your call to TG216, and HG5RUC will transmit your signals all around Budapest, so your friends will be able to hear and talk to you.
If you don’t have local repeater coverage, the openSPOT3 can link you to supported digital networks all around the world. You can talk to people living on the other side of the world very easily.
The openSPOT3 is designed by hardware and embedded software professionals, who are also amateur radio enthusiasts. It’s PCB, hardware components and case are very high quality, meet industrial standards and were chosen with practicality and durability in mind. We offer 2 year warranty* with official support in email and on our community forums.
The openSPOT3 is not an MMDVM® clone, it has nothing to do with MMDVM® or Pi-Star, and it’s not a Raspberry Pi® wired with a bunch of PCBs in a case (or without a case…).
Using the device is extremely easy. You can change the openSPOT3’s every setting by opening it’s built-in web interface with a web browser. You can also use the Quick Setup feature to easily connect the openSPOT3 to a digital network like BrandMeister. Opening the web interface is rarely needed, as you can switch talkgroups, reflectors, and even pre-saved configuration profiles by using your radio.
Even the first time setup is very easy. If no Wi-Fi networks are configured, then the openSPOT3 appears as a Wi-Fi network access point on your phone/tablet/PC called “openSPOT3 AP”. Connect to this network, and a connection wizard helps you to connect the openSPOT3 to the available Wi-Fi networks.
* The battery, charger and cable have only one year long warranty period (70% battery end of warranty capacity).
* The internal battery has one year long warranty period (70% battery end of warranty capacity).
The openSPOT3’s web interface has light and dark themes
Most of the software components were redesigned to make the whole device extreme fast, future-proof, and use very little power. We’ve added new radio modes and network protocols since the openSPOT1. The web interface is redesigned and now use WebSockets technology which means extreme low latency and a whole lot of new realtime features.
System Fusion® is a registered trademark of Yaesu Musen Co., Ltd.
NXDN® is a registered trademark of JVC Kenwood Corp. and Icom Inc.
APRS® is a registered trademark of Bob Bruninga, WB4APR
Raspberry Pi® is a registered trademark of Raspberry Pi Foundation
Arduino® is a registered trademark of Arduino AG
MMDVM® is a registered trademark of Shenzhen HKCNMA Co., Ltd.